Thursday, May 6, 2010

Taken for Granted

When I was a child, I always dreamed of running away. I thought that I could take care of myself by bringing a can of tuna and a blanket. I thought that my parents were doing a horrible job and that I could make it on my own. I attempted to run away a few times, but I never made it past the end of the driveway. My mom would come out with the video camera and ask me what I was doing. I would get defensive and say that I was running away. She would just say “okay” and let me go on my way. My brother and I tried to run away together a few times and by the time we got a hundred yards from the house, we would realize how foolish we were being.
Watching the videos now makes me realize how ridiculous I was. I wonder how I got it in my head that I could actually survive on my own. Now that I do not need my mother as much, I wish that I were a kid again so that I could have someone to take care of me. I wish I would have taken better advantage of having someone cook for me every night and wake me up for school in the morning. Now that I am in college, I realize that there is a lot that I took for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment