Thursday, May 6, 2010

Speech Impedideideiment

Let’s be honest. Kids cannot always speak correctly. I am speaking from experience here. I could not say the letter “R” correctly until I was six years old. Yeah. Try being named Rachel Mary when you can’t say “R.” I remember my mother threw a party for her good friend Rob, and as a gag, she had written on the cake “Happy Birthday Wob.” Everyone in class thought that I was named Wachel Mawy for a good three years. Let’s just say that I got a lot of crap in kindergarten. I had to go to speech class once a week, and whenever I got close to saying it right, I would get some sort of prize. When I finally grasped the letter, I got to pick my own prize out of the teachers’ bucket. Talk about an exciting day.
It is cute though, now that I’m older. It is the sweetest thing when a kid cannot say something right, or when they just forget how to say it. It makes us all go “awe” to ourselves. Just think about it from the kid’s perspective from a minute. You get people laughing at you and you just can’t figure out what you’re doing wrong and how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment